A Paul Desmond Bibliography
Balliett, Whitney. "An Insouciant Sound" from The New Yorker,
September 16, 1991, pp 86-90
- A lovely biographical profile of Desmond's career and personality.
Crow, Bill. Jazz Anecdotes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990.
- Only a few Desmond anecdotes. pp 82-83, 118, 189
Enstice, Wayne & Rubin, Paul. Jazz Spoken Here: Conversations with 22
Musicians. New York: De Capo Press, 1994
- Contains an interview with Dave Brubeck
Gioia, Ted. The Imperfect Art: Reflections on Jazz and Modern Culture.
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990 (pb).
- Pages 86-91 contain a profile of Desmond.
Gioia, Ted. West Coast Jazz: Modern Jazz in California, 1945-1960.
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- An indispensible source for info about Desmond & the Dave Brubeck Quartet
- Includes the only reference I've seen to Desmond's early and only
marriage to an unnamed woman
Goldberg, Joe. "Paul Desmond: The Illustrious Sideman", from Saturday
Review, October 13, 1962. pp 40-45.
Goldberg, Joe. Jazz Masters of the Fifties. New York: Macmillan, 1965.
- Contains a profile of Desmond that is essentially a reprint of the above.
Hall, Fred M. It's About Time: The Dave Brubeck Story. Fayetteville:
University of Arkansas Press, 1996.
- An authorized biography of Dave Brubeck with frequent refernces to Paul
Desmond. Includes an introduction by Gene Lees and a discography.
Hentoff, Nat. "The Solitary Floating Jazzman" from The Village Voice,
Vol. XXII, No. 34, August 22, 1977, pp 35-36.
- A tribute shortly after Desmond's death by one of North America's main
- Includes a smiling photo of Desmond with a cigarette in his mouth. (He
died of lung cancer.)
Hentoff, Nat. Listen to the Stories. New York: HarperCollins, 1995.
- Contains a reprint of "The Solitary Floating Jazzman" as above.
Horricks, Raymond. Gerry Mulligan. London: Apollo Press, 1986.
- References to the two Desmond/Mulligan albums Blues in Time and
Two of a Mind
Klinkowitz, Jerome. Listen: Gerry Mulligan, an Aural Narrative in Jazz.
New York: Schirmer Books (Macmillan), 1991.
- Contains lots of references to Desmond
Lees, Gene. Meet Me at Jim & Andy's. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Contains a chapter entitled "The Bachelor: Paul Desmond"
- A very warm personal reminiscence.
Lees, Gene. Jazz, Black and White. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Contains a chapter entitled "The Man on the Buffalo Nickel: Dave Brubeck"
with lots of Desmond stories especially pages 49-57.
McPartland, Marian. All in Good Time. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Contains a chapter entitled "Perils of Paul: A Portrait of Desperate
Desmond" that was originally published in a slightly different form in down
beat, September 15, 1960.
- Also includes a photo of Desmond with Dave Brubeck, p54
Ramsey, Doug. Jazz Matters. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas
- Contains a chapter entitled "The Dave Brubeck Quartet" which includes
several pieces Ramsey had written over the years:
- "Take Five with Paul Desmond Or an Intermission Spent at Wit's End,
- "Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Reunion, 1976"
- "Remembering Desmond, 1977" which was originally published in Radio
Free Jazz, September, 1977
Rice, Robert. "The Cleanup Man" from The New Yorker, June 3, 1961, pp
- This is a profile of Brubeck, and contains an excellent early history of
the Quartet & Desmond's role in it.
Shapiro, Nat & Hentoff, Nat. Hear Me Talkin' To Ya: The Story of Jazz as
Told by the Men Who Made It. New York: Dover Publications, 1966.
- Originally published in 1955 by Rhinehart and Company.
- Contains a couple of short quotes from Desmond. pp 392-394.
Smith, Arnold Jay. "A Quarter Century Young: The Dave Brubeck Quartet" from
down beat, March 25, 1976, pp 18-20, 45-46.
- Interviews with Desmond, Brubeck, Eugene Wright & Joe Morello
Ullman, Michael. In Fanfare, July/August, 1997
- On their "Jazz Page" Ullman defends Desmond's often lack of serious
attention by the critics of his day.
Williams, Martin. Jazz Masters in Transition, 1957-69. London:
- Contains a chapter entitled "Mulligan and Desmond at Work" which was
originally published in Evergreen Review 28, Jan-Feb, 1963.
- Describes the recording session for the 1962 Desmond/Mulligan album
Two of a Mind
- Also includes a short piece entitled "Brubeck in Eurasia" which was
originally published in down beat, Feb 5, 1959
Williams, Martin. Jazz Heritage. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Contains the same chapter on Desmond and Mulligan as above.